Pages

Saturday, April 4, 2015

Blog 3: Michael Jordan

I am now reading a biography of Michael Jordan. Michael Jordan was born on February 17, 1963 and his parents were Deloris and James. They lived in Brooklyn New York, but moved to North Carolina shorty after Michael was born. Jordan had four siblings, two sisters and two brothers. During his times at his home in North Carolina Michael would play one on one games with his older brother Larry. Michael believed that if he put dedication and hard work into basketball that he could be a good player. But most of all, he wanted to beat Larry. Soon enough Michael beat his older brother and believed he could go far in his basketball career. Although baseball was his favorite sport, basketball was something special to Michael. He played at Laney high school and went to the university of North Carolina for college. In college, Michael hit a game winning shot to win the championship. Michael was then drafted by the Chicago Bulls after leaving North Carolina after his freshman year and became the best basketball player in the world. After a few seasons with the Bulls, Jordan had retired to play basketball. He played for one year in the minors, and decided to go back to basketball making his return. With the Bulls, Jordan brought six championships to Chicago and was known as a legend of Chicago. Michael retired yet again after winning the sixth championship in 1998, and ended up returning again in 2001. This time he played for the Wizards and donated his salary money that year to foundations and charity's. Today, Michael Jordan is the owner of the NBA team the Charlotte Hornets and continues to donate to those in need like the Katrina foundation and the Habitat for Humanity Foundation.

I figured I would read a biography about Michael Jordan because of my connections I can make since he is my idol. One connection is that my dad grew up watching Michael Jordan. He would always watch Bulls games just to see Michael play and even keeps his basketball cards in a special hiding place since Michael is now in the hall of fame. Another connection I have is what Michael did in his childhood with his older brother when playing one on one. When I play my older brother in one on one games, I always wanted to win. Eventually, I ended up beating him for my first time and ever since that happened, I thought that I can beat anybody. And that is how Michael felt when beating his older brother because it brings a lot of confidence and shows that hard work pays off. One final connection I can make about Michael and this biography is how baseball was his favorite sport but thought basketball was his best suit. I play both basketball and baseball as well and baseball is my favorite sport. I have been playing baseball for ten years now and have become a good player for my age. As for basketball, I have been playing for about four years only. But with all of the work and pride I put into being good at basketball, it has become a part of me. Ever since I started playing organized games at the Rec I have fallen in love with the game. That is just like Michael. He loved baseball but basketball was the sport he could not give up because he was so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment